Sunday, February 24, 2008

The "C" Word

Scheduled: 6 miles
Actual: 6.57 miles
Time: 1:23:18
Pace: 12:40 minutes/mile

So I was super excited for my run Saturday morning. Why you ask? No... not because I had to wake up at 5:45 in the morning to drive to the city, but because it was my first run back this year with my beloved running group CES. Meeting in the lobby all of the pace groups lined up and I came to see that there was no one holding the 12 minute per mile pace group sign. The next slowest pace group with straight through running was 11:30 minutes per mile.

Oy.

I mean I can keep that pace for my shorter runs but could I handle it for the longer weekend runs? I psyched myself into the group and off we went. Since there has been so much snow, ice, and other gross winter conditions this past season, as well as some construction on the lakefront path, the route we took was slightly different than this past summer. Luckily it was absolutely beautiful. Seeing the lake frozen over was quite a sight. And it was so great to run outside. AND I was keeping pace with the rest of the group! That is until the "C" word happened... NO not the gross C-word I can't even write down... the runner's equivalent to that word. (Please not the following might be filed under things you never wanted to hear about Jaime)

I started to Chafe.

I was right on pace to run one of my fastest 6 miles ever and all of a sudden it felt as though there was fire between my thunderous thighs and I was forced to walk for most of the last 1.5 miles. Yes I am aware of a wondrous product called Body Glide (if you don't know what this is then you are not a runner) But what I was not aware of is that you chafe MORE in the cold weather then you do in the heat!!! Crazy! I will remember this and slather on better next time.

On a lighter note... as I write this I have officially completed the Hustle up the Hancock, but I will write about that as soon as I see the results.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena